SQLite is powerful, fast, and supported by a number of languages including a few of our favorites Python, Tcl/Tk, C/C++, Java, Ruby, and more. This post serves as a baseline for some of the resources that are freely available on the web:
SQLite Official Site – Follow this link to learn more about SQLite and how to get started.
Although the Command Line Shell for SQLite can be used to create and work with your SQLite database, there are some fairly powerful (and free) tools that provide a more intuitive Graphical User Interface (GUI).
- SQLite Expert: As of this writing, version 3.5.83 is available as well as a 4.0 beta version. The Personal versions are free, however, a professional version is available for a nominal fee.
- SQLite Browser: This SQLite utility can be used to create, design, edit, search and so much more. Working with SQLite databases doesn’t get much easier than this. (Windows / Mac / Linux). Freeware.
- SQLite Studio: An SQLite database manager that runs on Windows / Mac OSx / Linux and also supports Exporting to, and importing from, a variety of file formats. This free utility also offers extra plugins for a nominal fee.
- Mozilla Firefox: If you’re running Mozilla Firefox, an extension, SQLite Manager 0.8.3.1, can be used to manage any database on your computer.
C/C++, Python, Java, and Tcl/Tk are the primary languages we use to work with SQLite databases. However, it’s always good to have these tools at hand when things just don’t seem to be working as they should.
SQLite Tutorials / Information
- Tutorials Point – One of the better tutorials for beginners and others who are looking for a solid introduction to SQLite.
- The Tcl interface to the SQLite Library
- SQLite and Tcl
- SQLite3 “An Interface to the SQLite3 Database Engine – ActiveTCL User Guide”
- SQLite Expert – Flash Tutorials
- SQLite Tutorial (FreeCode) – Though published over 10 years ago, the concepts introduced are still relevant.
This should be more than enough to get you started to begin exploring data solutions for your own applications. One of the most significant challenges that programmer face is data structure. An SQLite database may just be the efficient and effective solution you need to manage your data.
Using Tcl/Tk and SQLite – Solution for creating a database and entering basic data.
Until Next Time – STAY lean!